If you are residing in Indian climatic conditions, you will know what we are talking about. Armpit rashes. The red devils growing under sweaty patches of the skin are enough to ruin your week. Whenever we feel that uncomfortable, itchy sensation for over a few hours, we go for immediate home remedies to soothe the redness. Over-the-counter or OTC medications have also been quite effective.
Though it may be helpful most of the time, sometimes the condition may remain indifferent to your efforts. To leap to the correct choice of treatment for your disturbing rashes, here are some quick and easy tips. Read on!
WHAT ARE ARMPIT RASHES?
After a sweaty football match, the bacteria may decide to halt in your armpit and spawn some rashes there. The armpits are the favourite destination for rashes. They are shortly followed by a tremendous urge to itch the red spots and irritating. Yes, we know! It is not a very good idea to act upon your urges. The armpit rashes may range from bumpy red dots to scaly white. Know the type of rashes to find a quick and effective treatment.
If the reason for your rash is hot and humid weather, they are guests for few days. But if it is your skin type that welcomes problems, again and again, it is high time to call your doctor.
TYPES OF RASHES
Here are some of the commonly known types of armpit rashes:
- Atopic dermatitis: This is the kind of rash we are most widely aware of. The other name of atopic dermatitis is eczema which peeks in during the childhood days of our lives. They are commonly found in the skin folds, such as the insides of the elbow, back of the knees, armpits, which are some of their residing spots.
The characteristic property of eczema is the crusty layer upon its surface. Apart from the sudden flare-ups, the skin of people suffering from eczema may appear normal. But never go itching and scratching your rashes if you are having a skin condition. The results are not really satisfactory.
- Seborrheic dermatitis: Seborrheic dermatitis is caused by the excessive functioning of the sebaceous glands present on the surface of your skin. The sebaceous glands are responsible for secreting sebum or oils. The overproduction of sebum causes rashes on the sides of the nose and other folded areas of skin. Unlike atopic dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis is not scaly and dry.
The flakes of skin seem yellow or laden with moisture due to the high content of oil in it. ‘Cradle cap’ is a seborrheic dermatitis condition faced by infants where rashes are seen behind their ears, scalp, and armpits.
- Contact dermatitis: Contact dermatitis is the kind of allergy itches we hear all the time. This happens when a person comes in contact with certain substances or eats some food item, they are allergic to. To put it simply, contact dermatitis occurs due to allergens.
What is the first thing you can think of? Yes, you got it right. The most common allergens are some varieties of eggplant. A lot of people are allergic to kinds of seafood like prawns and crabs.
- Candida: This group of rashes is commonly found in the moist areas of the skin, for instance, the underarms, and back of the ears, etc. Another name for candida is candidiasis. They are a class of fungus or yeast infection. Swelling, itching, and redness are the common symptoms of candida. This particular kind of rashes occur due to regular tight-fit clothes and sometimes due to poor hygiene.
Ask for some anti-fungal ointments over the counter and you are good to go. For women, it is advised to use cotton underwear to minimize the chance of such infections. Tight jeans are again a big no-no.
Knowing the exact reasons for the sudden redness and swelling will make it easier to choose an effective remedy. There are several home remedies as well as over-the-counter remedies available for armpit rashes. But it is highly recommended to not go for medical supplements without proper consultation of a doctor. Now let’s see what we have at home already.
Some people are also suffering from fungal acne problems. Here is a complete guide to getting rid of this acne problem Fungal Acne Treatment.
THE MAJOR CAUSES OF RASHES
Though a major role is played by the hot and humid climate, certain behavioural or bodily features may cause rashes:
- The problem of chaffing: When the skin folds of the body, like armpits, the thigh joints, rubs against each other, it increases the chances of chaffing. A stinging and burning sensation with red patches is common in chaffing. The top layer of the skin becomes papery. Moisturizing the skin and using cotton clothes are some measures we can take to reduce chaffing.
- The heat rash: You may blame the heat and humidity for these kinds of rashes. They occur in multiple figures and are red raised dots in your armpits are back of your neck, especially, if you have long hair. Try drying off your sweats as soon as possible.
- Fungal and bacterial infection: Bacteria and fungi are lovers of moist and humid surfaces. They spread their colony in the crevices like armpits and back of the knees. A continuous itchy feeling is common in such infections. The use of antifungal and antibacterial ointments is effective against such infections.
WHAT NOT TO DO WITH YOUR RASHES
Before choosing a home remedy to apply on your armpit rashes, make sure you are not doing any of these:
- Continued use of the irritant: If you see that skin irritation aggravates the application of a certain skincare product or consumption of any food item, STOP THAT IMMEDIATELY. It may be contact dermatitis. Prolonged use of the irritant or allergen will only worsen the scenario.
- Scratching: Keep your hands away from the rashes. We know scratching brings temporary relief but it is not good for the redness and swelling. Do not pull the scaly layer over the rashes. It is protecting the allergy from dust and other allergens. Scratching will make your armpit rashes vulnerable to other infections. We don’t need a bigger issue now, right?
- Being stressful: If you are a regular victim of rashes and allergies, learn to use relaxation techniques. Some easy techniques of relaxation may soothe the extreme urge of scratching. Imagine a peaceful place and calm your body. Now you will have a clear mind to go for the right remedy for the problem.
WHAT DO WE HAVE AT HOME?
From a simple knife cut to some of the complex surgeries were handled with the help of Ayurveda in ancient India. The herbs and weeds were given the utmost importance. The medicinal properties of each species were at the fingertips of the practitioners. Similar roles were played by the Apothecary stores in the early Western civilization. The blended roots and leaves from some magical plants would cure the toughest of diseases.
Nowadays it is almost impossible to rely blindly on them. But you can also go for the Mom-techniques. The home remedies are easy to come by and will give you firsthand relief from the irritation of rashes. Plus, it is almost free of any side effects. Even if the remedies do not cure the symptoms, be sure that your body is not harmed due to their application. Here are some of the quickest tips:
- A lukewarm shower: Check that the water should not be boiling hot. It will feel like stabs of the knife if the water is not lukewarm. The shower will soothe the rashes and give relief from that itchy sensation. Try to stay away from the scorching sun. Find a way to dry the sweats-specially from the folds of skin- on a humid day.
- Oatmeal: Take a lukewarm shower with a little amount of oatmeal-soaked water. The colloidal properties of the oatmeal will be soothing on your skin. It will be helpful for the tenderness of the skin.
- Coconut oil: If the armpit rashes are the result of dryness of the skin, the moisturizing properties of coconut will be beneficial. Applying it three to five times a day will reduce the scaly appearance of the rashes. Though it may not be of much help if you are suffering from seborrheic dermatitis.
- Vinegar and baking soda: Applying a small quantity of vinegar or baking soda on the rashes of our armpit once or twice a day is helpful. But be sure that your skin is not allergic to either one of them. Otherwise, the rashes will worsen.
Apart from these easily available home remedies that you can count on, there are some other remedies. Though these may not be sitting on your kitchen shelves, you can reach out to these as well. The sunflower seed oil is also quite effective for rashes and scaly surfaces. Topical B 12 has all the medicinal properties to cure your armpit rashes that are somewhat hard to come by. Learn about some other effective home remedies for rashes.
THE OVER-THE-TOP MEDICATIONS
The emergence of allopathic medicines minimized the efforts. We get the right mixture for our ailments within no time. The pills and syrups have created marcels over the years. Though gulping down capsules without the proper knowledge of the components and their effects on your body is not a very wise thing to do.
It is advisable to take your time to consult a physician before taking medications. Meanwhile, you can go for the following over-the-counter medicines for your rashes:
- Hydrocortisone: The application of hydrocortisone creams (0.5 to 1 per cent) is found to be helpful for your armpit rashes. Continue applying it four to fives times a day for several weeks.
- Antihistaminic medicine: If your rashes have spawn due to some allergens, you may go for some antihistaminic medications. One of the most common side effects of such medicines is drowsiness. It will reel down the swelling and the itchy sensation. Take advice from your doctor regarding the correct type of antihistaminic medicines.
- OTC creams: The calamine lotions are one of the most widely used remedies for rashes. Applying the lotion on the clean skin surface twice a day will be relieving. If the rashes are of Candida variety, applying antifungal creams, ointments, or sprays twice or more a day is helpful. Antifungal creams and lotions are also effective against ringworm infections.
- Eczema treatment and medication: These are most commonly seen from a young age. The treatment of eczema may be a tricky business. But here are some tips from doctors you may follow. Using a proper topical steroid cream will be helpful. Phototherapy or light therapy is another effective strategy for the reduction of rashes. Phototherapy imparts the goodness of Vitamin D in your skin which was lagging.
- Zinc pyrithione: If you are suffering from seborrheic dermatitis with an accelerated functioning of the sebaceous gland, treat your melanin with some zinc pyrithione. Apply it after cleansing the patches of the rash. It will give a soothing sensation and reduce the urge to scratching.
The internet is oozing with all sorts of information to cure your armpit rashes. While some are effective and non-invasive, others may prove taxing. It is best not to experiment with your skin and look for expert advice. Ask for online help from the professionals here.
A distribution of diverse climatic conditions is witnessed in India. Though the hot and humid climate is dominant of them all. And this prepares the breeding ground of armpit rashes with other skin conditions. Avoiding tight clothing and synthetic materials minimizes the chance of rashes, but did not mitigate the problem.
Eczema, seborrheic dermatitis, candida, etc. are some forms of rashes that we commonly encounter. Several preventive measures, both home remedies, and OTC medicines are there. Knowing the types of rashes and why it is caused may help us to track down the correct remedy.
Do not let the armpit rashes stop you from going out on that date. Set an appointment with a dermatologist or your regular physician for a better understanding of your rashes. Find the best cure for your armpit rashes.